Our press aims to produce books that engage intimately with the Chicago community and, in the process, give graduate students in DePaul University’s Master of Arts in Writing and Publishing program hands-on, practical experience in book publishing. The goal of Big Shoulders Books is to disseminate, free of charge, quality works of writing by and about Chicagoans whose voices might not otherwise be shared. Each year, we aim to make small but meaningful contributions to discussions of injustice and inequality in Chicago. Big Shoulders Books celebrates the tremendous resilience and creativity found in all areas of the city.
About Our Funders
Big Shoulders Books is made possible thanks to the ongoing support of the William and Irene Beck Charitable Trust.
Additional financial, logistical and/or administrative support has been provided by the following organizations at DePaul University:
- Department of English
- College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences
- Vincentian Endowment Fund
- Irwin W. Steans Center for Community-based Service Learning
- Egan Office for Urban Education and Community Partnerships
- Beck Research Initiative
- Women's & Gender Studies Program
- Office of Institutional Diversity and Equity